The following write-up details about Bitter Gourd Health Benefits.
Introduction to Bitter Gourd (Karela): Bitter gourd is also called as “Bitter melon” in other parts of world and it is being popularly known as “Karela” in India. Bitter gourd is one of wonder vegetables & fruits that have miraculous health benefits. Apart from Bitter gourd fruit, even its leaves are also useful in treating some kind of health issues. Karela is becoming popular and used in many herbal (Ayurvedic) medicines to treat and cure some of health disorders. Bitter gourd is mostly used in south India as part of culinary preparation. Bitter gourd juice or Karela juice and its leaves are very nutrition as remedy for some of the health diseases. In this article, let us find out nutrition facts, and health benefits of bitter gourd along with some home remedies of Karela.
Bitter Gourd Names in India:- Bitter Gourd / Bitter Melon (English), Karela (Hindi), Pavakkai (Tamil), Pavakka / Kaippakka (Malayalam), Kakara Kayi (Telugu), Haggala Kai / Hagara Kai (Kannada), Karela / Karola / Uchche (Bengali), Gujarati : Karela (Gujarati), Kaarathey / Karathen (Konkani), Karle (Marathi), Karala (Oriya), Karela (Punjabi), Kanchala (Tulu), Karela (Kashmiri).
Health Benefits of Bitter Gourd (Karela):- The following are some of the health benefits of bitter gourd.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #1: It is good for heart health.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #2: Bitter Gourd juice is good for liver health.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #3: It has many beauty benefits (wrinkle treatment on face).
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #4: Helps in treating skin disorder like acne, skin allergies.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #5: Helps in reducing heat rashes.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #6: Bitter gourd boosts/strengthens immune system.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #7: Bitter gourd is an excellent remedy for diabetics.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #8: Bitter gourd aids in digestion.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #9: Bitter gourd helps in curing kidney stones.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #10: Bitter gourd helps in regulating blood flow.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #11: Helps in treating defective neural nerves.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #12: Bitter gourd has anti-ageing properties.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #13: Bitter gourd has anti-cancer properties
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #14: Bitter gourd is excellent in treating cold and flu.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #15: Bitter gourd is helps you get glowing skin.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #16: Bitter gourd helps in treating headache.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #17: Bitter gourd helps in treating eye disorders.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #18: Bitter gourd helps in treating arthritis.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #19: Bitter gourd helps in treating Jaundice.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefits #20: Bitter gourd purifies blood.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefit #21: Bitter gourd helps in curing intestinal worms.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefit #22: Bitter gourd helps in weight loss management.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefit #23: Bitter gourd juice helps in reducing hangover.
Bitter Gourd Health Benefit #24: Bitter gourd is good for women health.
Bitter Gourd health Benefit #25: It is good for stomach dis-orders and helps in preventing constipation.
Bitter Gourd health Benefit #26: Regular consumption of bitter gourd may prevent from chicken pox and measles.
Bitter Gourd health Benefit #27: The bitter gourd leaves are said to increase he milk production in lactating mothers.
Nutrition Facts of Bitter Gourd:- The following are nutritional facts of Bitter gourd / Bitter melon / Karela.
Serving Size = 100 grams.
Amount per Serving:
- Calories: 225 kcal
- Carbohydrates: 3.70 grams
- Dietary fiber: 2.80 grams
- Fat: 0.17 grams
- Protein: 1.00 gram
- Folate: 72 Ug
- Vitamin K: 4.80 mg
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): 0.04 mg
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 0.04 grams
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 0.40 grams
- Vitamin C: 84 mg
- Potassium: 296 mg
- Calcium: 19 mg
- Magnesium: 17 mg
- Phosphorus: 31 mg
- Sodium: 5 mg
How to Prepare Bitter Gourd or Karela Juice:-
- Step#1: Wash bitter gourd properly and peel it and cut it into medium size by removing seeds.
- Step#2: If you don’t like too much of bitterness, mix the cut pieces with half lemon juice or half table spoon salt and wait for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Step#3: Add all cut pieces with water, apple juice, some ginger to the blender.
- Step#4: Blend till the mixture becomes smooth and filter the juice in separate container.
Home Remedies with Bitter Gourd:-
- Bitter Gourd Home Remedies#1: Dried and powdered bitter gourd leaves should be applied locally on skin burn and boils.
- Bitter Gourd Home Remedies#2: To cure bleeding piles and intestinal worms, extracted bitter gourd juice from leaves should be mixed with buttermilk and consumed.
- Bitter Gourd Home Remedies#3: In case of diabetes, one can mix Amla ((Gooseberry) and bitter gourd juice in equal quantities and should take daily in the morning to decrease levels of blood glucose.
- Bitter Gourd Home Remedies#1: Freshly extracted Juice of bitter gourd may be consumed on empty stomach in the early morning for better health benefits.
Note: If you have any medical condition or taking any kind of medication or if you are having diabetes/liver problems, or if you are currently pregnant, contact your physician before experimenting with bitter gourd.
How much juice should we take: Well? Generally, 3 to 4 tea spoons on empty stomach is recommended. Some people may have diarrhoea problems if consumed in larger quantities. Don’t take in large quantities as it lowers the blood sugars as well. If you have any adverse effect, stop taking immediately and contact your doctor.
If you are not able prepare juice, you can buy fresh juice from some herbal shops or online. However, there are Karela/Bitter Gourd capsules are also available in herbal stores like Himalaya and Patanjali.
For Growing Bitter Gourd: Click here.